Saturday 18 February 2017

Snowdrop Painting in Watercolour

I know it's a cliche and I know I post similar photos this time every year but, don't the first signs of spring raise the spirits?


Our aconites are cheerful little things hiding down amongst last year's fallen leaves.


And the snowdrops are looking at their best. They're really beginning to spread at last.


They made a perfect subject for a quick watercolour sketch this afternoon.


I was in a hurry to start before the sun dropped too low in the sky for me to work by natural light and the only paper I could lay my hands on in haste was a block of postcards. I can't remember where they came from and I don't think I've ever used them before but they were lovely to work with - just the weight and texture I favour. What is it about watercolour? No matter how much I try to get to grips with other paints I always come back to watercolour!

Bye for now - Linda x




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting. Your yearly paintings of snowdrops inspired me to finally locate some bulbs. They are rare here in the Pacific NW of the USA, but I final found a source and planted them last winter. Even with our heavy and unexpected snow (3 feet!), as the snow has receded, the snowdrops are emerging. They are such a joy!!! I know I will be planting more bulbs come the fall. Thanks as always, for the inspiration for the garden and for the sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie - really happy to hear you've tracked a few bulbs down for your own garden. At this time of year the snowdrops are a indeed a complete joy!

      Delete
  2. Yay, i'm so glad you are both back to your old blogs as well as the DMTV one.....the more of your beautiful inspirations, the better! Beautiful watercolours!

    ReplyDelete