Saturday 19 November 2011

It's all happening!

I have got a lot of different things on the go right now. I like to have a choice so that I can work for a solid spell in my studio when I have enough time to work seriously or pick something up when I just need to fill a few minutes. If you're a DMTV member you'll probably recognise my appliqued Iris.


I'm pleased to say that the Iris panel is quilted now. I liked the effect of the techniques so much I've started a second quilt - this time using Tulips.


I know they look strangely disembodied right now but nothing a few stalks and leaves won't cure! Don't you love the marks in the hand dyed fabrics? I think I might follow the lines the dye has created when I come to quilting this one. The Iris sit in a pot I've stamped with Oriental symbols but the Tulips are going to have a lovely curvy vase. I bought the exact thing I needed as inspiration at the flea market this morning. I wonder if using it as inspiration for art makes it tax deductible?


Work goes on in the altered Moth book.


It's a little diversion I go to when I only have a few spare minutes. Stencilling is so quick and it doesn't take long to slap a bit of gesso on the page. The Moth book and its companion have embroidered covers now so progress is being made!


On a completely different note, the chillies refuse to accept it's November and continue to flourish. We'll be using them as Christmas decorations at this rate!


My thanks go to Linda and Lynder for their advice on dealing with the chilli mountain. As you can see I am trying!


Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!  Linda

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully creative week you have had, thank you for sharing it all and spreading the joy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - I really enjoyed the painted applique video, and I think the idea of following the pattern in the fabric with the quilting lines will be beautiful...very organic.

    Also - the student work that I've seen in the gallery and the ones highlighted in the newsletter is spectacular!

    Cleta

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a lovely DMTV piece of work. Looking forward to seeing the finishing.

    Rather fond of the moths. I say good morning and good night to mine, lol.

    At least you might not have to grow chili's for a while. Shame you didn't have a farm shop that could have sold them on. Nice gifts at the least!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chili's are following their natural time. In south America it is moving into summer. You can dry them and use them as Christmas wreaths as they do in Santa Fe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for commenting - I love to hear from you all! Laura and I work together Monday to Friday but that's mostly computer stuff. For the creative things I mostly work alone so it's great to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    you can make them into a hot pepper condiment, called sambal oelek which you can add to rice dishes (just a little at a time)
    It is used in the Indonesian kitchen a lot and they make more varieties. You can probably google and find this if you like the idea. I found a recipe in English:
    Sambal oelek recipe

    1 pound chilies
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons vinegar

    To slice the chilies: cut the top off and slice in half lengthwise. Remove the center veins and all the seeds. If you like it with more heat, leave some seeds in. Slice the chilies in about 1/2 inch pieces. Grind them in a food processor or grind them in a mortar and pestle until they become a thick paste - you may need to add up to 1-2 tablespoons of water to get it going. Pour the paste into a yet unheated wok or sauce pan set on medium to high heat. As the sambal heats up, add the salt and vinegar. Stir well. Leave on medium for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly.

    Makes about 1 cup sambal oelek.

    Some Dutch recipes are similar but have 20 chilies and 2 tsp salt as ingredients. So I guess you can play with the amounts.

    I think with this recipe you get more chili's in a jar than when you keep them whole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Linda, those chillies are gorgous design material. Those shapes and the colours too!
    I thought I'd show you the bag I made recently - very much inspired by Laura's purses, but still a bit different. I left the harmonica folds out, but kept the rounded shape. Here's the link to my blog where I have just posted about it:
    http://miranne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gerda - thanks so much for the recipe. You must have known I bought a lovely pestle and mprtar just last week. I've been dying to try it out and this seems the perfect opportunity! I'll let you know how it turns out - sambal oelek is pretty expensive to buy ready made!

    Miranne - love the purse! Fantastic beetle to guard your pennies. Would you mind if Laura put the photograph in our DMTV gallery? I know lots of people would love to see what you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Linda. Feel free to use the photo in your gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather has gone mad! I was picking tomatoes (out door ones) this weekend and there is a strawberry on the allotment!

    I love the hand dyed fabric you are using as the tulip background.

    ReplyDelete