Monday 3 October 2011

Making time for myself

It's been a busy, busy few months as we've been working on our new Creative Sketchbooks course. I'm not complaining but it is a huge amount of work! We've had students woking on Module 1 for a few weeks now and Module 2 opens tomorrow. This module has another 12 videos in it. Yes, you heard right, 12 videos. Have you any idea how long it takes to prepare, record and edit that many? Good job Laura is such a technical wizard! It's very stimulating to create a new course and we find it always feeds our own work in some unpredictable way. Still, it's important to find time for ourselves amidst all the madness. Since our recent visit to Wolverhampton Art Gallery I've wanted to do something with this amazing vase as inspiration.


You don't have any sense of scale in the photo but the vase is almost as tall as I am. I read that the decorative motifs are all different Chinese symbols for longevity. The Oriental influence will be perfect for the work I need to produce for next year's exhibition at the Needle Museum. I hope you're impressed that I'm already working on this - it's certainly not typical - I'm usually the one finishing work at the very last minute!


The symbols really lend themselves to printmaking so I've carved a plastic eraser with a scalpel to make a small print block.


Of course I had to try it out immediately! The small size makes it ideal for repeat pattern making so I've applied bronze metallic acrylic paint with a roller and made lots of prints that butt up against each other.


This wonderful crow was also in the same gallery. They may have a reputation for being symbolic of misfortune but I am surrounded by corvids of all kinds every day and I love them.


I've been having a go at combining my favourite crows with the printed Chinese symbol on canvases I'm painting. I have to confess I'm liking how they are looking but it's too dark to take pictures tonight so I'll show you next time.

Bye for now - Linda

6 comments:

  1. I guess you couldn't wait to start on such a nice theme. This vase offers lots of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to see everything you make with this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must stop reading your blog and get on with my CS work - can't wait to look at the next module.
    Love this post, inspirational as always. So pleased you find the energy and inspiration to keep it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jill, I am of course very pleased that you do take time to read my blog but I'm not sure if I can allow it as an excuse for not doing your sketchbook work! We've opened Module 2 this morning and we think it looks gorgeous - hope you'll agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing vase! I hope you printing it backwards means the same thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Amanda - I can't read it forwards or backwards so I guess it doesn't matter as long as it isn't offensive to anyone who can!

    ReplyDelete